So What Is Next?

I am very excited to announce the next chapter of my life. With Augusta being a place that David and I chose to move to together I don’t think it is necessary to stay. I did make some amazing friends who I will miss dearly, but the job opportunities and area are not enough to hold me there. So the plan is to move back to Pennsylvania to be closer to my family and for a new beginning.

But that is not the exciting part.

Before moving backing to Pennsylvania, I am planning on taking a month and traveling around the country. It’s something that I always imagined doing, but never thought that I actually would. There is no better time to take a trip like this though. I am in between jobs and in between homes with a reliable low mileage car and next to no bills. I know that, for me, a trip like this can be done very frugally with fuel being the most expensive thing.
#Vanlife is becoming a way of life for many people both old and young who decide that they want to “simplify” their lives so that they can focus on doing more things. Full time “van lifers” will live out of their vehicles doing online and freelance jobs to support their travels. While I know that I cannot commit fully to that life style, the idea that this is something people (married and single, male and female) do really jumped out at me and inspired me to start small with this 30 day trip. I have read many blogs of people who travel by themselves. It makes me feel safer knowing that I may not be the only person on the road or at the campground who is on this type of journey.
After doing a ton of research, I decided that I would pack up my beautiful little Mercury Mariner with everything that I would need to live out in nature. For sleeping I have pillows, blankets, sleeping bags and sleeping mats that I can use in my tent or in my car with the seats folded down. For cooking I have a camp stove with a months supply of boxed and canned foods like tuna helper and rice-a-roni. I have a gym membership for showers. I have supplies for starting a fire and a comfortable chair so I can sit and relax after a long drive.
I will drive through 26 states stopping at national parks and historic sites all throughout. When I get to a park I will explore before it gets too dark. My nights will be spent in campgrounds, waking up with the sun to go on more hikes and bike rides through nature. I will admit that a lot of my days will be spent driving. But how else can you get across 26 states by yourself?

This will be a time to focus on myself and remember what I like to do.

Comments