Here comes summer


I have been in Florida for the past month. Needless to say it has been quiet nice. I’ve been staying with my grandparents in a 55+ golf community. Now, you might be wondering what there is to do in a 55+ golf community for a 19 (no +) year old to do. Granted there isn’t always a whole lot to do. However, there is the summer to get prepared for, and that is what I’ve been doing. There was a short list of things I wanted to get done while down here, so here it goes.
  • First, the obvious thing: Work on my Tan. I mean who is going to come to the sunshine state and not comeback looking like a native. Unfortunately, I am far from a master at tanning and the one time that I picked up enough sun to make a difference I was wearing the wrong outfit. I’ve got some crazy looking tan lines. Good thing I still have some time to correct that error.
  • Next thing was work on my art skills. I was hoping to learn more about the acoustic guitar, but my family forgot to leave one here when they came down in the winter. So I decided to work on my fine art skills instead. Which has been going slow. You see I always make my art very tedious and then get bored about a quarter of the way through my drawing. I did on the other hand buy a bunch more Sharpies, which got me excited about drawing.
  • I also really really want to “upgrade” my computer knowledge before summer. It’s hard to do though. I have at least three computers at home waiting for me to tear into their mega-boards. I also have a big project of scanning my grandmother’s photo journals and trying to digitalize them. So I’ll have my hands quiet full.
  • Last but not least, like every girl, I have been trying to get in shape for swimsuit season. I’ve never been one for working out. But it’s a great thing to do when there is not much else to do. I’ve been biking, walking, swimming, lifting, stretching, etc.

One of the other great things about being down here is the church I found. I’ve been going every week. I think I really made some friends. It’s going to be sad to leave it in just over a week. I don’t know how time goes by so fast. The next step of my journey is to catch up with my family in South Carolina for our family vacation. Then it’s home. I’ve got another beach trip lined up, a few concerts and a festival that I’m volunteering at, and hopefully a real job so I can make some money. At this point it looks like I’ll probably be at a community college in the fall. Wow. Sometimes life seems soo crazy, then you summarize it like I just did and you realize how short and simple it can be.
~Bethany Graybill

Comments